Ingo Feldhausen’s research combines empirical/experimental methods and theoretical explanation, focusing mainly on Romance languages such as Spanish, French, Catalan, Italian, and Portuguese – but he also works on German and English and even published on Bantu languages. Questions guiding his research include:
- What kind of variation is possible in a human language (monolingual and bilingual/SLA)? And how can variation be integrated into a competence model?
- How does prosody give us hints about syntax and pragmatics/information structure/discourse?
- How to apply and improve research methods?
- What insights from formal linguistics can be applied to language teaching and teacher education? And how can this be done?
Main research areas:
- Pedagogical Linguistics
- Language pedagogy
- Syntax (left periphery, subjunctives)
- Prosody-syntax interface
- Language variation
- Applied linguistics
- Information structure (focus, topic)